Custom Tallit Banner

Custom Tallit Banner

Friday, May 8, 2015

On a budget?

Want to have a nice tallit for a Bar/Bat Mitzvah but want to watch your budget? There are ways to tweak a design to fit different price ranges. Here is an example. A customer really liked my navy and wedgewood blue tallit on white dupioni silk but asked if I could customize it to bring the price down. I had a remnant piece of white silk noil that I could make into a 15 1/2 inch tallit, instead of my usual 18-20 inches. For the atarah, I embroidered just the last two words of the tallit blessing -- Lehit'atef batzitzit. For the bag, I made a simple foldover bag instead of a zippered one. This worked out well for everybody: I was able to use my remnant, and my customer got a tallit that she likes at a price that she felt comfortable with.

20-inch wide tallit with the full tallit blessing.
15 1/2 inch tallit with short embroidery.

This tallit ended up having quite a story. The family traveled to Croatia to celebrate their simcha in an old synagogue, actually more of a museum since most of the Jews were killed or moved after WWII. There hasn't been a life cycle event in that building since WWII. The mother just sent me a picture and said: "Your tallit covered our son in the first Bar Mitzvah at that synagogue since 1939. The Torah hadn't been opened in thirty years, and most of the remaining twenty-five members of the synagogue had never seen the inside of their Torah. It was all we hoped it would be."

No comments:

Post a Comment